Monday, November 18, 2013

Monday Morning Coffee: The Return to Black and White

 

                   Union City, Indiana/Ohio.

For me, a black and white photograph is successful when light, form and function come together.

The return to black and white has taken longer then expected.  The black and white technique came back quickly. However, the seeing has been slow to return, as the last 10 years have been spent with color. 

Has taken time to suppress color values and consider corresponding grayscale tones.  Not fully there yet, but getting better at visualising a monochrome image.

As always, the secret to success is practice, practice and more practice.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back when I was shooting the C-41 process b&w films they frequently would come back with a pinkish tint on my CD. I think it had something to do with the RGB setting,dk. Anyhow I finally, after much practice found I could eliminate the tint by converting over to 8 or 16 bit greyscale. I have found that for me at least it's not only practice, but patience. BTW your B&W images look wonderful.

My Midwest said...

Thanks for the kind words. B&W has always been my choice.