Saturday, November 27, 2010

Darkroom Postscript 1

O.K. changed my mind! Will do 35mm black and white film printing again. After many-many-many cups of tea/coffee and several miles of walking about, decided to bid on a Leica V 35 enlarger. The enlarger was being sold by a camera store 35 miles from home. This meant that if I won the auction I would be able to go and see the enlarger before I paid for it. Yes, with much last minute bidding and quick typing, I won in the last minute of the auction. Next day was a travel day to see what exactly I had won. Was clean, complete with instructions, in original container and appeared to be unused. Yes, it fit in the car and home we went. Speed reading the set-up details led to the assembly and placement in the darkroom. Then -bad news- no power cord! Strange, but somewhat familiar power socket on the enlarger, and no cord. Quick phone call solved the problem. Did I have a computer? Yes. Seems the power cord is the same as found on a desk top computer. Who knew! Found a cord from an unused computer and sure enough it worked. (Store sent me another power cord in two days.) This is an enlarger that probably was new in 1983 and the same power cord that we use today was used at that time. The last couple of days have been spent in the darkroom getting to know and understand this new tool. After some three days and too many pieces of photographic paper, beginning to produce acceptable images from my new friend. Check back for the next darkroom installment. (click on stock image to enlarge)

No comments: